2011-2012 BIG EAST TEAM CAPSULE: MARQUETTE
Marquette Golden Eagles
Head Coach: Buzz Williams (4th year at Marquette, 69-36 record)
2010-2011: 9-9 BIG EAST, 22-14 overall, NCAA Sweet 16
- Sr. G Darrius Johnson-Odom (15.8 ppg)
- Sr. F Jae Crowder (11.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg)
- Jr. C Chris Otule (5.1 ppg)
- Jr. G Junior Cadougan (4.0 ppg)
- So. G Vander Blue (5.1 ppg)
- So. F/C Davante Gardner (4.6 ppg)
- So. F Jamail Jones (1.4 ppg)
- So. F Jamil Wilson (University of Oregon)
- Fr. F Juan Anderson (Oakland, CA)
- Fr. G Todd Mayo (Huntington, WV)
- Fr. G Derrick Wilson (Anchorage, AK)
Players Moved On:
- Jimmy Butler (Graduation)
- Dwight Buycks (Graduation)
- Joseph Fulce (Graduation)
- Erik Williams (Transfer)
- Marquette hasn’t missed the NCAA Tournament since joining the Big East in 2005-2006 and will look to make it for the seventh straight year.
- The Golden Eagles lose their second leading scorer, second leading rebounder, and leader in minutes played with the graduation of do-it-all forward Jimmy Butler.
- All-Big East Second Team selection Darrius Johnson-Odom is the undisputed leader of this team now with Butler gone and should be one of the premier scoring guards in the conference in 2011-2012 after averaging at least 13 points per game his first two seasons with the program after transferring from junior college.
Newcomer to Watch:
- Jamil Wilson, a consensus top 100 recruit coming out of high school, redshirted last year after transferring from Oregon and should be a solid contributor at both forward spots. Wilson started 14 of 26 games and averaged 4.7 points per game for the Ducks in 2009-2010.
Notes: Buzz Williams and crew will be participating in the Paradise Jam in addition to non-conference match-ups at Wisconsin (12/3), against Washington (12/6, Jimmy V Classic in NYC), at LSU (12/19), and against Vanderbilt (12/29). Junior guard Junior Cadougan was named MVP of the Scion Dental Milwaukee Pro-Am over the summer. The Golden Eagles are one of four BIG EAST teams not participating in this year’s BIG EAST/SEC Challenge.
– team capsule compiled by Brian Batko